Your Work Makes a Difference
Volunteers are a critical part of Astera Health. Volunteers with cheerful tact, poise, a cooperative attitude, and a conscientious approach will long be remembered by patients, staff, and other volunteers.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at Astera, please contact the volunteer coordinator, Susan Marco. You may also use the link below to complete an online volunteer application.
Astera Health Volunteers
415 Jefferson Street North
Wadena, MN 56482
Don’t see the job you are looking for? You can submit a resume for future consideration by clicking here.
Susan Marco: 218-631-7593
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Volunteers in the nursing service area provide an important service to the organization. Some of the nursing service volunteer responsibilities include:
- Delivering snacks to patients
- Providing fresh drinking water and other beverages
- Assisting with setting up and distributing patient meals
- Visiting Swing Bed patients
- Delivering plants and flowers
Volunteers are vital to the success of our information desk. Volunteers assist patients and visitors with questions and give them directions as needed.
Cardiac Stress Testing
Volunteers are available to assist patients at the monthly Pacemaker Clinic. They also escort patients to and from their Cardiac Rehabilitation appointments.
Each of the newborn babies at Astera Health receive a knitted hat as a welcome gift to the world. Prayer shawls are also given to our end-of-life patients as a gift of comfort. Volunteers are essential in ensuring an adequate supply of caps and shawls. The volunteers use yarn and patterns they pick up from AH. When the projects are finished, volunteers are asked to return the finished products to the AH welcome desk.
Same Day Surgical Waiting Room
The Same Day Surgical Waiting Room volunteers help families be comfortable while they wait for their loved one in surgery. The volunteers facilitate communication between the surgeon and family, and relay information to waiting family and friends.
Some of the volunteer’s duties and responsibilities include:
- Delivering snacks to family/friends of surgical patients
- Pick up coffee from dietary for waiting room
- Mailing outpatient surveys
- Collecting, sorting, and delivering mail
- Labeling and distributing magazines
The volunteers in the Diagnostic Imaging department provide comfort and care to patients receiving Diagnostic Imaging services.
Some of the duties and responsibilities include:
- Sitting with patient while testing
- Transporting clinic patients to and from Diagnostic Imaging department
- Watching small children for patients who are having exams
VolunTEEN is a special teenager who volunteers at Astera, giving patients, visitors and staff a helping hand. The VolunTEEN’s cheerful tact, poise, cooperative attitude, and conscientious approach to their task will be long remembered by the patients, staff, and other volunteers.
Some of the duties and responsibilities of the VolunTEEN include:
- Providing fresh water and beverages to patients and visitors
- Delivering flowers and watering plants/flowers in patient rooms when necessary
- Visiting Swing Bed patients
- Talking, reading, or visiting with patients
- Spending special time with pediatric patients
- Running errands